Thursday, March 3, 2016

World Book Day...

Happy Women's History Month! Today is World Book Day. What are reading? Below are books I recommend reading. All of the books are written by black female authors.




Forbidden by Beverly Jenkins. This was my book club's February selection. It is a historical romance novel.  Quick and easy read.  Not a book I would normally read, but that is what a book club is all about.


The Men of Brewster Place by Gloria Naylor. This is my book club's March selection. I am enjoying this book. Love how she breathes life into the men.  The novel is a spinoff of Women of Brewster Place.


Ruby (Oprah's Book Club 2.0) by Cynthia Bond. Yes I did pick this book because it was an Oprah selection. Oprah's interview with Ms Bond was so intriguing that I had to get her novel. One Twitter user described Ruby as "like a sweet lime in your mouth. You feel the hit in the back of your throat and then sweetness takes over."  Many reviewers say her writing style is like Toni Morrison.


Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. Ms. Okorafor is an Nigerian-American author who writes fantasy novels. This is on my 'to-read" list. Sunny, the main character is an albino who lives and West African and doesn't fit in anywhere. I'm looking forward to reading this magical book.


Angel of Harlem by Kuwana Haulsey. This is a novel based on the life of Dr. May Chinn. Dr. Chinn was the first black female physician in Harlem. Another book on my "to-read" list. What a great book to read during Women's History Month!


Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. I'm currently reading this novel. I've read about 25%. Lots of rave reviews for this novel. Even though I'm only at the beginning I do recommend this book. Read the book before the movie comes out.


Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim. My book club read this for our January meeting. What a gem! A beautiful story about Lisbeth and her enslaved wet nurse, Mattie.

No comments:

Post a Comment