Thursday, February 26, 2015
Ten Ideas For Adult Snow Days...
Hey All! I woke up to 6 inches of snow here in North Carolina. No school again for my kids. This is like the 6th day in 2 weeks that they have been out due to inclement weather. Oh joy!! I took the above picture this morning of our oak tree. Winter photos are simply gorgeous!
There are lots of posts out there about what to do when the kids are out of school for snow. What about adult snow days? We get bored too. Below are some ideas us grown-ups can do to fight cabin fever on a snow day.
1. Host a Wine Tasting - I'm sure you have some munchies that you picked up while buying toilet paper for the storm. Call your neighbors and tell them to come over with a bottle of wine. Lay out your munchies and some glasses. Sample each other's wine. Talk about what will pair well with a particular wine, hand out a cheesy prize for the best wine. Perhaps you will discover a new favorite.
2. Plan Your Next Vacation - I've been getting lots of emails lately from various vacation rental properties. What a better way to get rid of the winter blues than to plan your next getaway.
3. Spring Cleaning - I know I know. Who wants to clean on a snow day?? Get organized now. Don't wait until Spring to do your "Spring" cleaning. Every week I'm getting a flyer or a call from some charity who wants to come and pick up my used clothing or small household item. My response "come and get it!"
4. Go For a Winter Walk - The snow covered trees are so beautiful. The cold crisp air is wonderful. Go for a walk. Lace up your Sportos and go. Great exercise. Don't forget your Fitbit and camera.
5. Read - Wrap up in your favorite throw, get your hot beverage and sink your teeth into a good book. I just received Oprah's latest book club pick, Ruby by Cynthia Bond, in the mail. I can't wait to start reading.
6. Online Shopping - Now if you've given up excessive spending for Lent, then skip over this. Go to number 7. There are some awesome deals on the net. Everyone is having a sale. A good one that is going on now is Kate Spade Saturday. Everything is 40% off. Thank goodness the cute sweatshirt with the side zippers is SOLD OUT in my size. Ha! My wallet thanks me. Also, don't forget about the small business owners. I'm all about supporting small biz. Lots of etsy sellers are having sales.
7. Call Your BFF over - Everyone has one girlfriend that either owns an SUV or is from the North and swears she can drive through any amount of snow (raises hand high). Call her and tell her to come over with her favorite adult beverage and the two of you catch up on all the episodes of Scandal and How Get Away With Murder that is on your DVR.
8. Line Dancing - You know it's coming. All of the wedding and graduation party invites. Don't be the only one at your table not getting up because you have not idea how to wobble. Go to YouTube and learn.
9. DIY projects - Finish those Darby Smart projects that you received in the mail. Or do your own DIY project. My fave is distressed jeans DIY. Super fun and easy. Have no clue how to ruin a pair of jeans, go to Pinterest.
10. Good Deed - Have an elderly neighbor? Go shovel her pavement and driveway. It's great cardio and your arms will thank you this summer.
How do you combat boredom on a snow day?